THE DISTRICT'S PURPOSES AND POWERS
The principal purposes and powers of the District are set out in the Texas Water Code as follows:
§58.121. Purposes of District
(a) Irrigation districts operating under this chapter are limited purpose districts established primarily to deliver untreated water for irrigation and to provide for the drainage of lands and such other functions as are incidental to the accomplishment of such limited purposes. An irrigation district shall not engage in the treatment or delivery of treated water for domestic consumption or the construction, maintenance, or operation of sewage facilities or provide any other similar municipal services ....
(b) An irrigation district operating under this chapter may contract with municipalities, political subdivisions, water supply corporations, or water users for the delivery of untreated water.
The District also has the additional powers, some of which are the Power of Eminent Domain and the Power to Levy and Collect Taxes.
United Irrigation District is the successor to Hidalgo County Inigation Districts No. 7 and 14 and its history lies in the history of these two districts.
The Commissioners' Court of Hidalgo County, Texas, on November 22, 1927, granted a petition for the organization of Hidalgo County Water Control and Improvement District No. 7 ("District 7"). The District Court for the 93rd Judicial District of Hidalgo County, Texas, rendered its Judgment creating District 7 on January 18, 1928. The Board of Directors held its first meeting on February 3, 1928. The first bonds of District 7 were issued on March 15, 1928 for the purchase of those irrigation water delivery facilities owned by United Irrigation Company and lying within the boundaries of the District. The reorganization of District 7 was pursuant to Section 59, article XVI of the Constitution of the State of Texas. Later, by Order of the Board of Directors dated July 11, 1980, the District was converted to an irrigation district pursuant to provisions of Chapter 58 of the Water Code of the State of Texas and its name was changed to "Hidalgo County Irrigation District No. 7. District 7 thereafter operated as an irrigation District pursuant to Chapter 58 of the Texas Water Code, and article XVI, Section 59 of the Constitution of the State of Texas from that time until it consolidated with Hidalgo County Irrigation District No. 14 to form United Irrigation District.
The creation of Hidalgo County Water Control and Improvement Dist1ict No. 14 ("District 14") was confirmed by an election held in the District in 1931. The Board of Directors of District 14 held its first meeting on December 29, 1931. Like District 7, District 14 was formed with the purpose of purchasing the irrigation facilities of United Irrigation Company lying within the boundaries of District 14. Many attempts were made to purchase these facilities and it was not until 1950 that final agreement was reached for the purchase of the facilities. On October 20, 1951 the electorate in District 14 approved the purchase agreement, and after the facilities were purchased, the District began operations. On August 14, 1980 the Board of Directors of District 14 approved a resolution converting the District to an irrigation district operating under Chapter 58 of the Texas Water Code, and changed its name to "Hidalgo County Irrigation District No. 14." As was the case with District 7, the reorganization and conversion of District 14 from a water control and improvement district to an irrigation district operating under Chapter 58 was to more clearly and correctly align its purposes and functions as originally created with its statutory powers and authority.
In March, 1987, a Consolidation Agreement was entered into between District 7 and District 14. On August 8, 1987, the eligible voters within the boundaries of each of the Districts approved the consolidation of the two districts into one entity to be called "United Irrigation District," all in accordance with the Consolidation Agreement. The consolidated District continues to operate as an irrigation district pursuant to Chapter 58 of the Texas Water Code and article XVI, Section 59 of the Constitution of the State of Texas. Chapter 58 of the Texas Water Code provides that the District is governed by 5 directors elected from the District as a whole. An election is held in even-numbered years with 3 directors being elected at one election and 2 directors elected at the next election for 4-year staggered terns. The Board of Directors appoints a general manager and such other managers and supervisors as is necessary, who are responsible to the Directors for the administration, operation and maintenance of the District's property, together with the supervision of the employees and staff of the District. Water rights belonging to Districts 7 and 14 were consolidated into the District's ownership by the 1987 Consolidation.